Highlights from the week...
This week I've slowed down a little bit and let myself realize that I still have over three months left here.
Tuesday was class from 9-9 day. In the early afternoon I had a rushed meeting with four members of the Baha'i Club from Imperial College (they usually meet every Tuesday afternoon). They were all very nice...and very into physics... And if you don't know what on earth "Baha'i" is, you can look here.
Wednesday we did some grocery shopping and visited Primark again (which is kind of like an upscale K-mart, which isn't hard to do I suppose). We also explored the actual palace of Alexandra Palace a little bit and took a walk through Alexandra Park. There's an ice skating rink in the palace that my friends plan on dragging me to, and that could get ugly (and painful). The palace is really pretty, and pretty new-looking. It's been re-built three times because it keeps burning down. Our host dad (who I never see anymore!) told us that a witch was rumored to have lived there and cursed the property when they kicked her out.
Thursday included more class, and a trip to the Soho Theatre to see a show called "Midsummer." It was fringe theatre, not a West End (London's equivalent to Broadway) production, but it was a great show. It told the story of two characters (the only two characters in the cast) who were unhappy and unfulfilled, in their mid-thirties, feeling pretty blah and how they overcame their negative outlook on life. It sounds like an overdone story, but they only used one set and mixed narrative and dialogue seamlessly in a really effective way. I think I'm crap at describing plays. In any case, it has nothing to do with "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
Friday, which is today, we had class to discuss "Midsummer." Afterward we walked over to Harrod's (I only went to see the pet store). That place is ridiculous. The sale rack had things for under £500! What a steal!!! .... Twice in my life is enough for that store.
Tomorrow we head to Lacock Abbey (and Hogsmeade!) and Avebury Circle. Avebury Circle was described to me as a "giant stonehenge," and that is all I know about it. I'm also in the middle of planning my travel week trip to Spain...and any suggestions are welcome! I should be adding pictures today, too.
One day I'll write about the insanity of newspapers here. Let's just say many of them do not shy away from using horribly corny punchlines. Example? "Pleased to Tweet You: Sarah Brown and her friends on Twitter" (Sarah Brown is Gordon Brown's wife). And papers will report a hard news story right next to a story about some celebrity's cellulite. The lines between serious paper and tabloid are blurred...so...confusing... Also, tabloid means a completely different thing here; it just refers to the size of the paper (it's small than a broadsheet).
Well...I guess I did write about newspapers. There you go!
**EDIT: CLICK HERE FOR SOME PICTURES!

No comments:
Post a Comment