Friday, February 26, 2010

An update before SPAIN!

I did it again...waited a week to write...

It's alright, though, because this week was pretty boring. Sunday and Monday were dedicated to getting my presentation on teacher training ready for Social Welfare Issues in the UK...with the exception of the few hours on Sunday I went to see them setting up for the BAFTAs (British Film Awards). I watched them literally roll out the red carpet (which is a pretty intricate process) and saw an insane amount of security (I found out later it was because Prince William was going to be there). I even got to watch some people arrive, but I left before the really famous people got there because it was freezing and the man next to me was trying to make a career in the paparazzi business. Anne stayed, though, and got to see lots of stars...I was most jealous of Kate Winslet, Colin Firth, Andy Serkis...and of course Prince William, bald spot and all.

Tuesday, as part of our British Life and Culture course, we went to have traditional Pakistani food from a restaurant near Brick Lane. It was delicious, even though one of the vegetarian options was something as refreshing as deep-fried cheese. We were meant to have a tour of the area of Brick Lane, but it was raining pretty steadily, so the professors bagged it. My internship is quite close to Brick Lane, though, so I should be able to check it out pretty often. (I think I've mentioned this before, but Brick Lane is the sort of epicenter of Bangladeshi culture in London).

I spent most of Wednesday working on a final paper. We also had tea at Walt and Rabun's, where they told us some basic tips for traveling. Thursday I turned in my final paper and took a final exam (all for the same class. Guess which one). It was nice to have Thursday night free to do things, but it was really weird not to see a theatre performance.

Today, Friday, I took another final exam and since then have been slowly getting ready for Spain. I've got some Euros, printed out my three trillion train/plane/bus tickets, and now I've got to finish packing and other last minute stuff. Luckily I checked the weather for Madrid and Valencia and there was suuuuun in the forecast. I have no idea what the computer/internet situation is going to be for the next week, so until then, hasta luego.

1 comment:

  1. So now you can officially say that your toes have been in the Mediterranean Sea. Does that compare to toes in Lake Michigan in early April?
    So much travel, so little time. So glad you got to experience Madrid and Valencia. More of Europe to come in May !!!!

    ReplyDelete